Why I Love Spider Plants

At my mother's house, there is a spider plant that is older than I am. Yes, it's been growing and flourishing for around 25 years, and it seems like there's no stopping it! As soon as I got a place of my own, the first thing I did was introduce spider plants into my own home. And here's why:

Spider Plants are Hardy
Take it from me, you can forget to water a spider plant for weeks, and it will forgive you! I have seen these plants recover from seemingly the brink of death.Even the most forgetful, negligent plant owner would be hard pressed to destroy one of these babies! As far as sunlight, my spider plants seem to do well with indirect sunlight. So even if you don't have a ton of natural light, these hardy plants can flourish with even a little light.

They're Fun to Share
When a spider plant gets large enough, it starts to produce little spider plant babies that are easily removed from the main plant and re-potted all by themselves. All you have to do is carefully remove the offshoot, making sure to keep the little roots intact. You can either keep it suspended in a cup of water for a week, or directly plant it in a small pot. It's fun to take the little babies and set them up in cute pots as a fun and inexpensive gift!

They Clean Your Air
According to an article on Mother Nature Network, spider plants help clean up toxins such as "benzene, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide and xylene" from the air in a house. It's amazing to think that a simple, inexpensive houseplant could do so much to improve the quality of your air, but I swear I can tell the difference in my own house! They're hard-working little plants that give far more than they get!

They're Beautiful
With those long, graceful, arching leaves that dangle oh-so-perfectly from a hanging basket, spider plants are unarguably gorgeous plants. Even the smaller ones have a certain softness and beauty to them. Spider plants come in all different hues of green, and some varieties have lovely striped patterns. Your house guests will always be impressed by a well-grown, healthy spider plant, and they certainly work to brighten up an office space.