Bonsai Tree Care

Bonsai Tree Care
Bonsai trees are very elegant and unique trees that people like myself get enjoyment from. I saw my first bonsai tree in the movie Karate Kid and I wanted one ever since. For years now, I've been growing and enjoying bonsai trees in my home. I have some tips in this article that will help you care for you bonsai tree to make sure it's healthy and happy.

The placement
A bonsai tree grows best when it gets a couple hours of sun in the morning hours and mostly shade during the hot afternoon sun. Certain types of bonsai, such as junipers, conifers, and pines can handle an entire day of direct sun light. Also, be sure to rotate your tree if it's growing up against a wall, otherwise it will grow unevenly.

Watering
Bonsai tree are a little different than other plants when it comes to watering them. Using a watering hose or watering can may provide too much water and drown it. One thing you can do it wet the soil first and see if it absorbs the water or not. If it does, then it's safe to provide it with more water. For my indoor trees, I like to mist the leaves instead of pouring the water directly into the soil. A good rule of thumb to remember is to make sure the soil is never completely dry.

Pruning
With the help of pruning, you can have a elegantly shaped tree. You can prune your tree into your desired shape by trimming the branches and leaves. This will also help the appearance if it's starting to grow in the wrong direction and is beginning to look unbalanced.

Fertilizing
Fertilizing your tree will ensure it stays healthy and grows new leaves regularly. It's important to make sure you feed it during the growth season. For most bonsai trees the growth season is the first two weeks of spring, summer, and fall. I find that it's best to mix 50% water with 50% fertilizer so you don't have to worry about burning the roots.

As you can see, taking care of your bonsai tree isn't too difficult. Just remember the tips I shared with you in this article and you will soon have a fabulous bonsai tree of your own.